The start of the new year is suppose to be a time for change. People make resolutions to break bad habits, develop new ones or accomplish goals. I’m OK with my bad habits so I guess that leaves me two of the three to use to make any resolutions. Oh, alright, I suppose there is a bad habit or two I could try to break. I plan on keeping this list short and achievable so it will eventually become one of those good habits I follow through the years.
- Live healthier – this is really about better choices. I believe a healthy diet is well rounded and not about exclusions. I need to definitely break my bad habit of eating when stressed, bored, or as a social component. I also need to get to the gym on a regular schedule before I am totally out of shape.
- Learn photography – I’ve started this journey and it has taken over a portion of my day. Now it is time to learn about this new interest and improve my skills. I need to understand the technical side – equipment, composition, lighting, color, digital post processing, etc… and practice, practice, practice.
- Blogging – I have been playing with this blog for a few years. This is the year to really commit to improving both my Ramblin’ On and Picture Day blogs. I know I’m full of words, now I just have to get them out of my head and on to the page.
- Databases – this one is work related. I have been fulfilling the database administrators role at work now for over a year. I’m a coder at heart but it is time to dig into the database aspect of my job now and learn more about what I’m doing. I need to have a better understanding of database configuration, performance tuning and troubleshooting.
- I have a ton of books stacked up on my ‘to read’ pile. Television has become my lazy minds way of passing the time. Why watch reruns of old shows when new books are waiting to be picked up.
- Same goes for my video games. No reason to rehash completed, old games when there are new ones waiting to played.
- Balance! There is a happy medium where all my interests can co-exist. I need to find it.